The Ugly Privacy Curtain–Dirty Dozen
Reasons Why the Ugly Privacy Curtain Keeps Hanging Around
- There is no “one person” assigned to manage the facility-wide program for privacy curtains.
- There is no “Standard” privacy curtain
- Because there is no standard privacy curtain, the chances of getting the right curtain in the right room is a roll of the dice.
- Ceilings are different heights, therefore curtains are may be too short or too long when hung in different areas of the hospital.
- Efforts to tag the curtains with length and width will fail when the tags fade from laundering or fall off completely.
- Privacy curtains are either unhooked or the mesh is torn because the carriers in the track don’t move very well.
- High employee turnover in the Housekeeping Department insures the wrong curtain will be hung in the wrong room.
- Spare curtains are not purchased at the same time the curtains are purchased.
- Changing curtains is labor intensive and makes the guy from Housekeeping annoyed at the interruption in his work.
- Infection Preventionists and Housekeeping Managers work in silos.
- During the laundering process, curtains end up staying in the washing machine or dryer too long making for a wrinkled looking curtain.
- Having a high functioning privacy curtain program in a hospital takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money.
About Darrel Hicks